In December Club members have a chance to participate in their favourite things with family and friends, and to celebrate CFUW activities that support community development including:
- An announcement from CFUW National congratulating Prime Minister Trudeau on the appointment of fifteen women to the federal Cabinet to create a gender-equal cabinet. The current female caucus of the Liberal Party includes prominent businesswomen, UN diplomats, leaders of major national and international NGOs, doctors and lawyers. The new female Ministers bring with them a wealth of experience and, importantly, a different perspective which will make a significant changes in decision making on issues facing Canadians. It is hoped that gender-based analysis will be ensured in federal departments, to create a national action plan on violence against women, to establish an inquiry into our missing and murdered aboriginal sisters, and to create a national framework on child care. CFUW and women’s groups look forward to consulting with Prime Minister Trudeau and the new Minister of Status of Women, Patty Hadju, in the reinstated Ministry of Status of Women.
- Five CFUW members were elected in the federal election on October 19.
- CFUW National’s call to Take Action on 2015 Adopted Policy Resolutions & Climate Change. Please contact me if you would like a copy of this special information bulletin.
I would like to thank:
- Heather Hall for chairing the CFUW St. Catharines October General meeting while I enjoyed a lovely getaway.
- Pat Paulin for forging ahead on creating a new website upon our finalization of the contract with the vendor, in addition to coordinating our Silent Auction fundraiser and many other Club functions.
- Jean Armitage for coordinating activities in my absence.
Best Wishes for a Joyous Season,
Marilyn Wallace, CFUW St. Catharines President 2015-16